Frequently Asked Questions
In order to ensure your child is in a class with his or her peers, we follow the age guidelines below:
For the 2-year-old program your child should be at least 2 years old by September 1st of the year in which they are starting preschool.
For the 3-year-old program your child should be at least 3 years old by September 1st of the year in which they are starting preschool.
Children enrolled in the 2-year-old class do not need to be potty-trained. All other children must be potty-trained to be enrolled at St. Bart’s.
All of our classes run from 8:30 to 11:30 am. We offer drop-off from 8:15-8:30 at no extra charge. Pick-up is at 11:30.
Children may stay until 1:00 pm if they are signed up for Lunch Bunch that day. Children may be dropped off early, between 7:30 and 8:15 am for a fee, if they are signed up for Early Drop-Off.
Our 2-year-olds meet 2 days a week.
For 3-year-olds, we have a 2-day class that meets on Tuesdays and Thursdays and a 3-day 3-year-old class that meets on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday.
For 4-year-olds, classes meet on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays.
Our 4 day TK/Pre-K class (4 and 5-year-olds) meets Monday through Thursday.
Our school year begins on the Tuesday after Labor Day and runs through the first part of June. Please see the calendar for more details.
Our maximum class size is 10 students for our 2 year old classes and 12 students for our 3’s, 4’s and Pre-K/TK classes. Each class has a qualified teacher and an assistant so our ratio for a full class is one adult to six children. In our two year old program the maximum class size is 10 so our ratio for a full class is one adult to five children.
We provide a good balance between developmental and academic programs. We believe in learning through play, but our play has an important purpose. We provide a curriculum and an environment that help our students be socially and academically ready for kindergarten.
Each teacher prepares her own lesson plans based on our shared goals for our students. This allows each teacher to base lessons on the interests of her students. Depending on their ages, children will be exposed to letter and number recognition, print awareness, phonological awareness, pre-reading and math skills, and pre-writing skills. Our goal is that our students be familiar with these basic concepts and be ready to learn the curriculum offered in kindergarten.
Our students attend Chapel in our sanctuary or a classroom once each week. The lessons are child-friendly and age-appropriate. Our Chaplain, Director and Teachers tell a Bible story each week and allow the children to participate in the story through the use of visual aids, acting, singing, and dancing. Chapel is interactive and promotes a loving, faith-based Christian environment.
Yes, we have snack time for the children but parents provide the snacks. We do not provide snacks due to allergies and the preferences of individual children.
Lunch Bunch provides an option for your child to stay until 1:00 pm. The cost is $15 per day. We ask that you sign up for Lunch Bunch at least 24 hours before you wish to use it. Your child will eat a lunch that you send and then will play either in a classroom, on the playground, or in the playroom until you pick him or her up at 1:00 pm. If your child is enrolled in an enrichment program (see “ Our Programs”), he or she will eat lunch with all the children before going to the enrichment program. Lunch Bunch is not available for 2-year-olds.
Yes, we urge you to bring your child and come to see our school. Please call ahead so that we can schedule your tour at the most advantageous time for you, i.e., when your child’s age group is in class, etc.
Current information on tuition and fees can be found here.
Yes. However, you must have had a negative TB test within the last year and be fully vaccinated for COVID-19.
The following are some of the special programs/events that we offer.
- Chapel: The children participate in Chapel once a week which involves the telling of a Bible story, singing, acting, etc. Chapel takes place in the sanctuary or a classroom. *Our 2-year-old program does not participate in Chapel although there will be some religious education on a more age-appropriate basis.
- Music: The children have music and movement through the week in their program.
- Donuts with Dad: Dads come to school in March for 30 minutes and participate in class with their children.
- Mom’s Celebration: Moms come to school for 30 minutes in May and have a chance to socialize with other moms and be entertained by their children.
- Christmas Pageant and Party
- Field Trips: The 4 and 5-year-olds may go on one or more field trips with their parents during the year.
- Enrichment Programs: We offer a variety of enrichment programs which take place during Lunch Bunch. Some of our programs include gymnastics, other sports, music, art, creative movement, science, and literature. *Enrichment programs are not available for 2-year-olds.
- Summer School: We offer several week-long theme camps during the summer.
St. Bart’s Preschool is located on the campus of St. Bartholomew’s Episcopal Church, located at 16275 Pomerado Road in Poway. Click here for a map.